Due to COVID-19, all activities of this class will be moved to online settings starting on 3/16/2019. Lectures, recitations, and office hours will all be through Zoom, at the same time as before. Check your email for meeting IDs. HWs 6-8 will be changed from DSP board implementations to MATLAB Simulink simulations. Stay healthy and safe!
This course is a survey of audio digital signal processing fundamentals and applications. Topics include sampling and quantization, analog to digital converters, time and frequency domains, spectral analysis, vocoding, digital filters, audio effects, music audio analysis and synthesis, and other advanced topics in audio signal processing. Implementation of algorithms using Matlab and dedicated DSP platforms is emphasized.
Lectures: 9:40-10:55 AM on Tuesdays and Thursdays in CSB 601
Recitations: 10:30-11:30 AM on Wednesdays in CSB 616, Website
Lab: Hopeman 202 (several labs will be scheduled later this semester.)
Prerequisites: ECE 241 or other equivalent signals and systems courses, ECE 114, and basic Matlab programming.
Textbook: Parts of the following textbooks will be used. Electronic versions of all books are freely available online or through the UR library website.
- DASP - Udo Zölzer. (2008). Digital Audio Signal Processing. 2nd Edition. Wiley. Accompanying website
- DAFX - Udo Zölzer (Eds.). (2011). DAFX: Digital Audio Effects. 2nd Edition. Wiley. Accompanying website (link is not working, check back later)
- SASP - Julius Smith. (2010). Spectral Audio Signal Processing. Free Online Book.
Reference books: The following books are helpful for the Matlab and DSP board assignments.
- Theodoros Giannakopoulos, and Aggelos Pikrakis. (2014). Introduction to Audio Analysis: A MATLAB Approach. Academic Press.
- Donald Reay. (2012). Digital Signal Processing and Applications with the OMAP-L138 eXperimenter. John Wiley & Sons.
Instructor: Zhiyao Duan
Office: CSB 720
Email: zhiyao.duan (at) rochester.edu
Office hour: 4-5 PM on Wednesdays and by appointment
Recitation Instructor: Tre DiPassio <TreDiPassio (at) rochester.edu>
TAs and Office Hours:
Neil Zhang <yzh298 (at) ur.rochester.edu>, 4-6 PM on Mondays in CSB 426
Mojtaba Heydari <mheydari (at) ur.rochester.edu>, 3:30-5:30 PM on Fridays in CSB 418
Tre DiPassio <TreDiPassio (at) rochester.edu>, 10:30-11:30 AM on Wednesdays in CSB 616